Tuesday, November 6, 2007

I like to Read Too

I think I will open up this unread blog to include other reviews/opinions of anything art or entertainment. So without further ado....

"The Player of Games" -by Iain Banks

This book is terrific. It is technically "sci-fi" however I feel that genre is another bullshit genre. Pretty much if it has space, robots, future or hi-tech its sci-fi? This book was much more of an exploration into the realm of social analysis then a story about aliens.
This is one of Iain's Culture Series, which explore the reality of people living in a interstellar association/regime. In the Culture, no one gets sick, everyone is genetically mastered so that as long as your head survives, you can grow a new body. That includes swapping sexes mid life. Of course, there is more then meets the eye to the Culture, as it aims to wipe out "barbarism" through out the known universe.
Iain is regarded as the greatest living author in Britain. I think he is pretty good, however I don't read enough from Britain to support this assertion. Next on my list from him "The Wasp Factory"

Plot- 5
Writing- 4
Dialogue- 5

No comments: