Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Aimée & Jaguar

This film is great. I picked this one to start off the site specifically because it is great, and recently a new addition to my favorite movie list. The movie is set during World War II, and is an odd but moving love story. I say odd because the situation surrounding it and they way the characters interact is full of tension. So I guess it is a pretty normal love, which is odd for movies. The plot is fairly dry, love during war, but this is made up for by seriously amazing acting on the part of Juliane Köhler (Aimée), equally reciprocated by Maria Schrader (Jaguar). Of course there is some added tension that I will allow you to discover for your own.

So you can find this film in the foreign or German sections of your nearest movie rental, unless you rent from Blockbuster. Just kidding, they probably have it, I wouldn't know really. I bring up the foreign thing just to get this out of the way on the first blog, but I dislike the term foreign as a category. This movie is a romantic drama, which just happens to have been made outside of the U.S., has subtitles and is therefore relegated to the milieu of "foreign".

This movie has heavy lesbian themes, so if you are homophobic, go walk of a cliff and save us the trouble. Awww....no just kidding, but really, get some class. Love is love, and this story is going to go down as a classic.

Plot- 3
Directing- 4
Acting- 5
Cinematography-4

No comments: