Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Interlude - Movies and Reality

So I would like to take this moment to have a break from critiques, and just talk movies. I will do this from time to time, feel free to join in discussion. Crank has made me re-evaluate the way I think about movies. Ever since I was a small kid, when I saw live action movies that were filmed as if the existed in real life, I treated them as such. Let me reiterate: Live action films, with real actors, set in real places should behave as if they are in the real world. However, this recent movie, and many I can think of, made me rethink this. Why can't a realistic movie, still exist in the realm of fantasy. It can, and thats what I've decided on.
Don't get me wrong, I love fantasy movies set in crazy places with crazy people, but with those it was easy for me to jump to a fantasy world and forgive them for their transgressions against reality....and physics. Now I have to apply this to real world movies. Even if I have to grit my teeth when they never re-load their guns, or accend 33,000 feet in 20 seconds, or blow stuff up just to have it in the background of the next scene. No one is perfect, and there are tons of people in Hollywood, so movies should have tons of imperfections to...right?

I'm not taking back my review of Crank. That movie sucked.

No comments: