Monday, December 17, 2007

I Am Legend

I am a critic who has a particular pet-peeve about films/movies using the titles from literary works with little or no similarity to said work. Just call it something else Warner Bros. You're not plagiarizing cause you wrote a completely different movie. Similarly, I wish comic book adaptations would follow suit and produce movies with a titling system similar to comic books themselves. For example, the recent run of Spiderman movies are not only not the only Spiderman movies ever made, but are also not cohesive with any specific spidey vein and should therefore have their own name (i.e. The Living Spiderman, or something less cheesey).

I digress

Will Smith did an amazing job with this role, and I was much displeased with my only way to express this with the words: "He displayed an intense array of emotional expression." He did though, and complimented with excellent directing, created an enjoyable movie experience (save the packed theatre with all the hooping and hollering that entails (okay dudes, I realize that Will is all ripped in this movie, but you don't have to express this out loud during a scene that is supposed to have emotional content)). Go see it, but don't call the movie I Am Legend in your head, and then expect to get any sort of similar story in the book. Then go read the book because it is way better then the film.

Plot- 2
Directing- 4
Acting- 4
Cinematography- 3
Gore- 1 (Its Will Smith (who never swears in case you don't know) its PG-13, however I didn't apprech the dog scene.... you'll know what I'm talking about)

1 comment:

Sevenmead said...

I notice you made no mention of the alternate ending. Have you seen both?